Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mechanical Wonderland



Possible design and creation by Henri Maillardet, in 1820. Similar to a live caterpillar, this jewel studded pre-electronic metal creature can crawl from one point to another on a flat surface. Take a look at the video:





The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

`Who are YOU?' said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, 

`I--I hardly know, sir, just at present... at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll




No comments:

Post a Comment