Wednesday 13 July 2011

What's Hot, What's Not! - KATJEE Art Market




Isn’t it funny that sometimes when you actively pay more attention to certain areas of your life, it’s as if they come alive upon request. If you’re lucky, possibilities can offer themselves like locusts, and seemingly unlock like magical doors from an Alice in Wonderlandrian world, as they creak temptingly ajar. From this initial glimpse, it is your choice of follow-up action; do I push it open further and see what lies on the other side, or do I turn on my heel and choose again?




It is with this in mind, when my mobile phone went off recently, and whilst weighing up the pros and cons of picking up yet another unknown number in the display, that my intuition told me to “pick it up.” As a rule, I find being totally accessible to all and sundry by mobile exasperating, and the ensuing lottery as to whether I will pick up or not, is generally based on whether I feel like ‘playing the game’ that day with the over-motivated, opinionated, sales person or purveyor of nonsense at the other end. In this instance, I’m glad I did, as it turned out to be from one of the organizers, Martin Dölle, of the KATJEE Kunstmarkt (Art Market) in Groningen, asking me if I would like to take part in one or all of the five Art Markets, which run from May – September every year.




After a very interesting conversation, blind panic replaced euphoria; I had nothing I wanted to sell, no clue of what was required, or how much to charge, and May was far too early for me! Once I had regained my composure, I decided that it would be a smart idea to go to the May market, to answer my questions, and with a view to taking part in the September market.

Sunday 8th May turned out to be a gorgeous day for the Art Market, and I probably would have appreciated it more if I hadn’t been out dancing into the small hours the night before. Little stalls were lined up in rows like soldiers under the protective shadow of the Aa-Kerk, sporting the creations of the artists: brightly coloured canvases, creative jewellery, black and white line drawings as well as the currently hip, fused glass jewellery. Artists sat on little stools behind their stalls, or mingled with potential clientele. Prices from what I saw were reasonable, and the work would make great any occasion presents.




If you would be interested in going to one of these markets, the next Markets will be: 12 June, 10 July, 7 August and 4 September. (A little tip…I will be at the September one, as Alison Day Designs!)

For more info: www.katjee.nl  (Dutch). If you’d like more information contact, Martin Dölle.




© Alison Day
First published in the Connections magazine #32 Summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment